Monday, January 14, 2013

WHAT DOES YOUR DRINK SAY ABOUT YOU? by Diane Kelly

Are we what we drink?

James Bond is known for his “shaken, not stirred” martinis. Though I doubt the manner in which the ingredients were mixed made any difference in the taste, the concept of “shaking” evokes much more exciting and dangerous implications than the much more tame “stirring.” No doubt this particular drink was an element of the spy’s character to which the writer devoted quite a bit of thought.

The ladies of Sex and the City made the Cosmopolitan an everyday term.  The pinkish color of the cosmo is feminine, while the fact that it is served in a martini glass gives it a classy, big-city allure.  

JD, a quirky doctor in the TV show Scrubs, always ordered an appletini. Though heterosexual, he was definitely in touch with his feminine side.

Those of us who indulge in alcoholic drinks tend to have a repertoire of favorites.

I tend toward the girlie frou-frou drinks like piña coladas, strawberry daiquiris, and margaritas. To me, drinks are sort of like a grown-up dessert, and I drink them for fun with friends. I’ve never had a stomach for the hard stuff and, as I’ve learned the hard way, tequila and I don’t get along too well.  On occasions when I’m feeling more sophisticated or when I’m in a more upscale restaurant or bar, I’ll order an amaretto on the rocks. The drink is still sweet and smooth, but has a more mature feel to it.

In my January 29th release, Death, Taxes, and Peach Sangria, IRS Special Agent Tara Holloway mixes quite a few pitchers of peach sangria, using a recipe obtained from the mother of her sexy co-worker, Senior Special Agent Nick Pratt.

What types of drinks do you like? Does your choice of drink reflect your personality? Do you drink different types of drinks depending on your mood or the atmosphere of the venue?

3 comments:

Mo said...

I seldom drink but when I do it is either Lemoncello on ice or Fireball Whiskey straight up. They are such opposites I’m not sure what that says about my personality. I tend to go with the mellower Lemoncello when I alone with hubby and Fireball when I am partying with a bunch of friends. I am looking forward to reading more Tara & Nick in Death, Taxes, and Peach Sangria.

Unknown said...

That's easy Jack & Coke. It's my favorite. Every now & then do like a
Blue Saphire Martini.

It really depends on type of bar I'm at. Will go with a jack & coke just about anywhere, but if I'm at an upscale type bar where everyone is sitting then I will have the martini. Just don't like to walk with a fancy martini glass in an everyday bar.

Kristi said...

I don't normally care as long as it's sweet. Daquiris, wine, pinapple juice with coconut rum.