Saturday, June 09, 2012

Where do you get this stuff?

Please welcome fabulous guest author, Lillian Grant!  Take it away, Lillian...



In the midst of a discussion with my editor about my latest release, Male Review she asked where I got the crazy comedic plots from…Umm…life. I don’t know about you, but I have had a lot of oh poop moments in my life and why not use them for inspiration?


I remember as a young innocent eighteen year old English lass deciding it was time to get to know my gorgeous new fiancé in the Biblical sense. It was the eighties so things weren’t as free and easy as they are today.  My mother had a no sex before you are married policy, my future mother in law had a no sex ever policy and we had no where else to go, we didn’t even own a car. So, I decided to book us a dirty week at a Blackpool Bed and Breakfast.  We rocked up and the door was opened by the landlady. English B&B Landladies are scary people. She looked like her views on sex were probably somewhere close to my future mother in laws. Unperturbed I put on my best sophisticated face and waited for my lovely man to book us in. Now I may never have been away with a man before but I knew better than to book our room in the name Smith. She would be oblivious to the fact we weren’t married, despite the lack of a wedding ring…unfortunately my fiancé couldn’t remember whose name we had used for the booking so asks the woman if it was mine or his. She let us stay but it was a very uncomfortable week. Now I think back on it I can laugh, especially when I can only imagine things from her point of view. I looked like I was about fourteen and my man looked every day of his twenty two years. Thank God she didn’t call the cops and that my man is not a screamer.


Of course that wasn’t as bad as the time my future father in law caught us…oops no can’t share that one…it’s definitely not PG.
 

My life lurches from disaster to disaster so why wouldn’t I visit the same on my characters?  Hey, they deserve it. I never invited them into my head.

~Lillian Grant


Male Review
An octogenarian great aunt, a frigid mother and a BDSM themed male strip club, what could possibly go wrong?
Sam Stephens and Meg Riley are in love, and finally on the cusp of sex anytime, anywhere, anyhow. That is until Meg’s Great Aunt Maud, the octogenarian nymphomaniac, gets tossed out of the old folk’s home and moves in with them, closely followed by her polar opposite, Meg’s scarily frigid mother.
Meg’s best friend Laura convinces Aunt Maud to invest in Male Review, a BDSM-themed male strip joint. For Meg, it’s just one more step along the path to disaster, made even worse when former prostitute Michael is hired as the bar manager. After all, Laura’s last venture ended with Meg being arrested as a pimp. And Michael’s to blame for the crazies invading Meg’s home, and even worse, he still has the hots for her.
If she wants to get her life back, all Meg needs to do is find a new home for Maud, resolve the dispute between her warring parents, keep Michael at arm’s length, and rescue her relationship with Sam before it disintegrates completely. Male Review appears to be just one more problem to deal with, but perhaps it could provide an unexpected solution.
Read an excerpt here!

Purchase at:

No comments: