Friday, June 15, 2012

School's Out!

School's out for the summer... yay!  No more getting up at the crack of dawn to drag the 12 year old out of bed.  No more fighting Angry Mom traffic to drop him off every morning at school.  No more homework taking up hours of my time every afternoon (yes, I know it's HIS homework, but tell that to his teachers who require parental involvement at EVERY step of the way still).  And no more obsessively checking his grades online every day, refreshing to make sure no teachers have lost any assignments before report cards are due.  (You'd be surprised how often this happened last year!)  Life is good here in the Halliday household.

I'm incredibly proud to say that my son not only survived his first year of middle school, but made honor roll 3 out of 4 quarters.  (He's not the self-motivated type yet when it comes to academics, so this was  HUGE accomplishment for him.)  Even more shocking - I survived his first year of middle school!  It was a year of big changes.  No more "playdates", now his friends just come over to "hang out".  Girls now "hang out" with boys.  Packing a lunch is unheard of.  (And my wallet is always empty from cafeteria fees.)  He and his friends now (gulp) leave the house on their own to go places around town.  It's been an adjustment on my part. 

 And just when I feel like I've got this whole middle school thing down... my son tells me he's doing two summer camps this year.  One is at the high school and the other is at Stanford University.  High school and college this summer?!  When did my baby grow up on me?    

~Trigger Happy Halliday

 

Goodreads Book Giveaway

Bond Girls by Gemma Halliday

Bond Girls

by Gemma Halliday

Giveaway ends June 20, 2012.
See the giveaway details at Goodreads.
Enter to win

1 comment:

Terri Osburn said...

Mine finishes 7th grade today. And she managed to bring all of her grades to an A but one, which is a B+! I'm a proud mom today!

It's still weird to think she'll be in high school in just over a year. Seriously. WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN??

Love that new book cover!