Thursday, June 14, 2012

It could happen...



I had to share this story with you. I found it today at the website of one of our state's papers. It seems a writer from Des Moines wrote a story about a school teacher who became shipwrecked with a sixteen year old student. She submitted the novel and was summarily rejected by forty agents and something like fourteen publishers. So, she decided to go the self-pub route and put the book up on Amazon. And the book went viral--and, as  the article says, "the big boys came calling." She now has a "good seven-figure" deal, sold the movie option and has a second book coming out in 2013.  Here's the link in case you want to read the article yourself: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120613/NEWS/306130084/After-viral-e-book-Iowa-author-inks-seven-figure-deal?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage


This is weird timing. I've been going through several completed manuscripts lately and have been mulling over whether to put them up. They're not humorous romantic mysteries. Not at all. I have a middle level young adult humorous paranormal, a romantic suspense, a western historical romance, and a police procedural that is the first in a new series.  After consulting with the experts (aka the Dangerous Divas at Killer Fiction) I'm seriously debating dusting them off, sprucing them up, and publishing them. Who knows? Maybe one of these books will go viral and the big boys will come calling on Bullet Hole. Hey. Stranger things have happened. What do you all think? Is the publishing world ready for books from me that so don't tickle the funny bone? 

Oh. And before I go, I wanted to let you know that Calamity Jayne, the first book in my Calamity Jayne Mystery Series is available for download at Smashwords and it's freeee! Hopefully the offer will make its way to the other vendors soon. So, pass the word!

And stay tuned for new release news!

Have a super Thursday! Me? I plan to dream of seven figure contracts and my very own personal publicist.

~Kat

4 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

I say put them out there. I've read enough success stories (even if only moderate success, that's still good to me) to not taking self-pubbing seriously. Go for it!

Kathy Bacus said...

You've got a point, Terri. And what can it hurt, right?

Unknown said...

I agree put it out there. Everyone knows the best critics are the general reading public, not the one person having a bad day at a publishers house. All it takes is a few people liking the book and making comments then it gets us all interested. The reading public know what we like

Sabrina

Kathy Bacus said...

Very well put, Sabrina. Readers don't have to be told what they like. They don't need anyone to tell them.