Friday, April 20, 2012


I'm at 3 months and counting from B-day... baby's due date.  And I'm starting to feel it.  Know how distracting it is to be in the middle of writing a tense scene and get kicked in the ribs... from the inside?  Very.  Anyway, little kicker is coming soon, and it feels like I have way more to do than is humanly possible to get done in 3 months. Like, just for starters, writing two books.  Eek!  Yeah, the sad truth is, that may not happen.  And that's just the first thing on my list.  There seem to be a million other things that need to get done.  But, I'm noticing that with Baby #3 my attitude toward a lot of those things has changed drastically from the way I got ready for Baby #1.  For example...

When I went shopping for maternity clothes at about this time with Baby #1, I remember thinking, "I would kill for a cute outfit so that I'm not always sitting around in schlumpy yoga pants all the time."

With Baby #3:  I would kill for a comfortable pair of schlumpy yoga pants that fit."


With Baby #1 I went online, printed out a list from the What to Expect When You're Expecting website of everything a new baby needs, and carefully checked off the items as I bought them at Babies R Us... 4 baby burp clothes, 2 baby washcloths, 1 pair of nail clippers, 1 nasal aspirator, etc.

With Baby #3, this is what was overheard during mine and the Man's what-do-we-need-for-baby discussion.

The Man: We should probably buy the baby some clothes.
Me: didn't someone give us some diapers?
The Man: Maybe?
Me: good enough.  It'll be summer.  He doesn't need clothes.


With Baby #1 I carefully sanitized everything that I thought he might come in contact with, from the bottles nipples and pacifiers to thoroughly spraying down the baby chairs with Lysol.

With Baby #3 my motto is as long as the stain doesn't come out with Tide, it's probably not coming out on Baby.


I'm telling myself that I'm not lowering my standards, I'm lowering my Type A habits to a livable level.  Any other parents experience this?  Please tell me I'm not the only planning on letting my child live in diapers this summer? 

 ~ Trigger Happy Halliday

5 comments:

krisgils33 said...

I only have 1 and that's about a half too many for me :-)
but, yeah, I did the "everything just has to be perfect and right". It's amazing how people those attitudes shift as the household fills up. :-)

Terri Osburn said...

I too only have the one, but my in-laws were nutso and bought EVERYTHING EVER MADE FOR BABIES. It was crazy.

My mom had 4. My sister (the oldest) had TWO full photo albums of pictures, all 8X10 or larger and taken at Olin Mills (professionals, people.) She also wore nothing but pretty dresses until age four.

I came next. There is ONE baby picture of me. That's it. ONE!!! You can imagine how lax they'd gotten by baby #4.

Gemma Halliday said...

Lol, Terri! My mom had 4 also, and the same thing happened. There's a period of about 3 years where there are no pictures of anyone. :) And even the pictures we have, the frilly dresses were replaced with sweats.

The only thing I am insisting on for this one is a really pretty nursery. This is the first babay that I've been able to afford new things for (with coupons, on sale, of course)so I'm having fun decorating with non-hand-me-downs this time around.

Terri Osburn said...

Good for you! Kiddo's nursery was decorated in Winnie the Pooh. I took a Pooh calendar, cut it up, and spread the pictures all over the walls. Cheap and easy artwork!

Maria G. Swan said...

Gemma, you are supplying the most important thing of all, LOVE!