Thursday, December 03, 2009

Bullet Hole's Black Friday


I totally spaced off blogging on Thanksgiving. I ended up having to drive my kid back to college that morning and it slipped my mind big time. And today I'm late posting due to a family medical appointment that lasted longer than anticipated. Sawwree, guys!

So. I did it. I didn't intend to, but I did it. I went out on Black Friday. One of my daughters and I were seduced by the Black Friday ads and incredible bargains and decided to try our luck. With the kids' video game television beginning to go funky, I decided since the price was right, the time was right. Merry Christmas! We get to the store before five. The LCD HDTV unit I had my eye on was also of considerable interest to many other bargain hunters. I get in the line indicated by the store employee. I was cool about the whole thing. I figured if I got one of the TVs, great, if not, no big deal. That was my attitude.

The line snaked through the book section ( a perk here since I had ample time to read a nice selection of blurbs). The line moved forward as the employees handed out the sets one at a time. And then it happened. That 'one' person in a crowd who thinks the rules don't apply to them. That one individual who decided they were entitled to bust through the line of folks waiting patiently for their chance at a great deal and shove their way to the goods. That kind of individual.

Unfortunately this person chose to attempt this brazen breach right in front of a former cop--a former cop whose pet peeve is people behaving badly. That's right. Old Bullet Hole.

I turned to the individual and pointed towards the back of the line. "The line ends back there," I informed the cutting customer.

She tossed her hair over her shoulder and looked up at me. (Most women are considerably shorter than my five-feet-nine inches). "In this world if you want something, you have to step up and take it, missy!" she informed me.

I smiled down at her.

"And in a civilized society, you follow the rules," I responded. "And the rules say the line ends back there." I pointed in the direction I had earlier.

By this time others in line, as well as the employees dispensing the TVs, were alerted to this customer's intentions and she had no choice but to accept banishment to the end of the line.

The line moved forward as one-by-one the TVs were taken from the pallet and handed to the next customer. Being tall, I was able to peek over the aisle and count the remaining sets. It was going to be close.

I got up to the pallet. There was one couple ahead of me. And one TV left on the pallet. Sigh.

I turned to leave when an employee stops me, "Hold on. There's one more." And he pulls a set out from behind the camera counter.

I never have this kind of luck.

My daughter and I picked up a few more small items and got the heck out of Dodge. We were back home by six A.M.

Mission Accomplished!

I still have a few things to buy, but the biggies are bought.

So, did any of you end up shopping on Black Friday or did you opt for a safer 'Cyber Monday' outing? Any crazed shopper stories to share? Rudeness running rampant?

I'm enjoying this evening with a seasonal romance and a warm mug of cider. Talk to you all next week!

~Bullet Hole~

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't do the black Friday thing except on line! I am glad I am not the only one to had to go and get a kid from college and take them back. I didn't have to take my said kid back until Monday and I was glad about that.

Refhater said...

I was going to do the black Friday thing. Then I balanced my checkbook and discovered that the remaining $6.45 wasn't going to get me very far.

Way to go putting the line cutter in her place!

Suzan Harden said...

Yep, there's always that one person, isn't there?

LOL The only reason I was at the mall on Black Friday was because I had to work. Unfortunately, I see customers behaving badly this time of year. A lot.

And trust me, there's a reason that TV was behind the counter. I was a platimun customer at a certain greeting card store long before I worked for them. I take my coupons to work and hand them out to customers who act in a polite, civil manner. Such things should be rewarded, don't you think?

Hellie Sinclair said...

I don't do Black Friday, but I want to applaud you for calling that woman and making her go to the back of the line. Strumpet. I hate when people do that crap! Gah.

You deserved that TV...that's why you had the luck...you spoke up for everyone who would have been grinding their teeth but saying nothing to that woman...you rock!

Gillian Layne said...

We did black Friday with our oldest daughter. She loved it. And our wal-mart was very civil.

Line crashers make me crazy. We dealt with one after waiting two hours to see New Moon. And he was a grown man! I quietly seethed, not my loud mouthed 16 year old daughter. She piped right up and announced to the crowd, "SOME people just can't wait to see hot young 16 year old boys without shirts on. Go ahead, let him go first."

She is evil, that one. I have no worries for her out in the big, bad world on her own.:)

Tori Lennox said...

WTG on putting the line crasher in her place!!! And I'd like to think they saved that last TV just for you. :)

Brandy said...

I went out on Black Friday, but we went in the evening because we weren't looking for gifts, we were looking for shirts for our Son. It was fine, no crowds and it was almost peaceful.
Glad they had one left for you. Line jumpers drive me batty.

Kathy Bacus said...

At least the weather cooperated for the drive back to college, Virginia. And we left early enough so the traffic was light on the way there. My trip back home was another story. Lots of traffic and lots of folks driving way too fast...

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

I told the triplets the TV represented their Christmas gift. I'm not into gaming so it will be mainly for them to enjoy. They turn 20 on January 2nd so I'll have to come up with birthday gift ideas, too. Sigh.

And yeah. Rude people annoy me.

~Bullet Hole~

Kathy Bacus said...

I agree absolutely, Suzan. Sounds like your good deeds were noted and justly rewarded.

Good show, I say!

~Kathy~

Kathy Bacus said...

There are times I wish I could just keep my mouth shut and remain on the sidelines, Ms.Hellion, but I'm a sucker for the concept of fair play.

I just don't get why some folks act the way they do...

~Kathy~

Kathy Bacus said...

OMG, Gillian. I just about lost it when I read your daughter's comment about the jerk at the movie theater! She SO rocks!

~Kathy~

Kathy Bacus said...

Thanks, Tori! Made me feel kinda good when the other customers gave me 'atta girls'. And the kids are glad they don't have to squint anymore when they play their video games.

~Kathy~

Kathy Bacus said...

My two triplets who work in retail told me once the early-bird deals were over, it was almost surreal how slow business became, Brandy. An ideal time to shop, I'd say.

Hope your shopping trip was successful!

~Kathy~