Saturday, August 09, 2008

Author Angie Fox - Real bikers don’t wear pink

Please join me in welcoming debut author Angie Fox! I first saw the cover of her new book, The Accidental Demon Slayer, at the Book Expo America in L.A. and fell in love with it! And I wasn’t the only one, everyone who walked by the Dorchester booth commented on it that day. So, of course, I had to read her excerpt. Let me just say I have been DYING to get my hands on this book ever since. So, so fun! So, take it away, Angie…



Real bikers don’t wear pink
And other lessons I learned on the road

It’s no secret I’m a bit of a girly girl. I like my silver jewelry, I own way too many purses and I can spot a nail salon from 100 yards. So it was a bit of a surprise, even to me, when I found myself calling up Harley bikers and asking if we could get together. Oh and if they could possibly bring their dogs?...

But hey, I’m a writer and research is part of the job. In this case, I’d set out to write a paranormal about a straight-laced preschool teacher turned demon slayer who has to run off with a gang of geriatric biker witches. Plus, my heroine has a smart-mouthed dog that, thanks to her new powers, can talk…and talk…and talk.

In order to get the real story on Harley riders (and their dogs) I went online and learned that there is a nationwide club of bikers who ride with their dogs. So my heroine could have her snow white Harley, and her Jack Russell Terrier too.

Of course I had to meet these hard riding dog lovers. Turns out, they were way more friendly than I’d ever imagined. They invited me into their homes, introduced me to their dogs and, like my heroine, the bikers hoisted me up on the back of a Harley, with a dog in tow.

Things I learned right off the bat:
· After an hour on a Harley, you’ll walk like John Wayne for a week
· Helmets hurt when they are worn backwards
· Dogs love riding motorcycles

Stone, the biker who spent the most time making sure I didn’t fall off his hog, showed me how to ride, invited me to some biker rallies (note to self: don’t wear pink next time), and helped make The Accidental Demon Slayer as real as it can be (for a book about a somewhat sheltered preschool teacher turned demon slayer).

So just when I thought I was writing fiction, it seemed my made-up characters from The Accidental Demon Slayer weren’t so imaginary after all. One of the bikers I met even has a wife who is a biker witch. I’m wondering if she, like my heroine’s biker witch grandma, wears a “kiss my asphalt” t-shirt and carries a carpet bag full of Smuckers jars filled with magic. Maybe I’ll find out on my next adventure.

To celebrate the release of The Accidental Demon Slayer, I’m giving away a copy to one lucky winner. Just take the What’s Your Biker Witch Name? quiz and leave a comment with your new biker alter ego.

Angie Fox
www.angiefox.com

33 comments:

Cheryl said...

Leggy Lucy No Brakes <-- that is so me. NOT. lol. But I love that biker witch name. I'm keeping it! You're book sounds like a fun read. I look forward to it.

Cheryl S.

Jude said...

This book sounds adorable! Love the idea of a preschool teacher coping with this whole new world, but the geriatric biker witch gang makes me smile every time I read it.

jude
aka Fast Frankie Fancy Pants

Minna said...

It looks like I'm Owl Eyed Olive Hard Rider.

Gemma Halliday said...

Thanks for coming to play with us, Angie! LOVE the biker dogs. ;)

And... I just saw... Accidental Demon Slayer is #34 on the NY Times List!!! Yaaaay, girl! So psyched for you!

~Gemma

Cathy M said...

My dh laughed like a loon when I told him, but I think it's pretty cool.

Crumple Toed Chessie Uni-Brow

Anonymous said...

This sounds like SUCH a fun book!!!

My biker witch name is:

LUSTY LUCINDA WHEELIE-GIG

ROFL!!!

Gemma Halliday said...

P.S. Love my name!!

~Hog Wild Harriet Fancy Pants

bison61 said...

Mantrap Marcie fast pants-wow that's quite a name

tiramisu392 (at) yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Hmm, I am Chesty Drawers Fast Pants. Cute name! Your books sounds like it will be a cute read. I would love to read it.

Estella said...

Your book sounds like a great read!Crumple Toed Chessie Hard Rider

catslady said...

Crumple Toed Chessie Windy Pants - not my favorite lol.

Toystory said...

Leggy Lucy No Brakes -- Hey how did someone already get my name?? That's really weird...

Angie Fox said...

LOL I think those of you with uni-brows may want to do something about it. My apologies.

And, yes, The Accidental Demon Slayer just made the NYT Bestseller list. The biker witches are celebrating quite loudly. I don't know where they got those maracas.

Cheryl said...

I enjoyed reading your adventure riding a Harley.

My biker name is Pretzel Legged Peggy Steel Butt

Sue A. said...

Great post! The book sounds like a fun read.

Sue
a.k.a. CRUMPLE TOED CHESSIE HARD RIDER

Suzan Harden said...

Angie,

Was your real-life biker witch named Tommie? Because she sounds an awful lot like one of my husband's co-workers who recently retired.

I've so got to get this book tomorrow. I LOVE the title.

Suzan, aka Easy Edna No Pants

(And Crime Scene Christie better keep her mouth shut if she wants her ride on Wednesday!)

Shel said...

Candy Knickers Steel Butt, wow, that's some name. I may have to change my screen name!

Angie Fox said...

Hey Easy Edna, I mean Susan. The real witch I met wasn't Tommie, but that's wild that you know a biker witch too. It may be more common that we think. :)

And Shel, I think Candy Knickers Steel Butt would make a wonderful screen name.

Anonymous said...

My name is Linda the Lush Fast Pants.

LOL!

Terri W.

Teoh said...

Haha, I went through a few names like
Hog Wild Harriet Windy Pants
and
Rubber Neck Reba Flat Foot
before getting one that doesn't sound so dorky!

Lusty Lucinda Steel Butt

Definitely looking forward to reading your book. How do you keep the doggie from falling out when u speed??

nicki72182 said...

Looney Libby No Brakes...I sound like I'd be fun to ride with huh? Thanks for the giveaway!

Anonymous said...

Angie,

Congrats again on hitting #34 on the NYTimes. Way to go, girl!!

Faye, aka Buck Tooth Betty Fancy Pants

ps: Gemma, I think we must be related! lol

Angie Fox said...

LOL Yes, teoh, (I mean Lusty) - you must be happy with that biker name because it will be hollered loudly anytime you hit the Hairy Hog biker bar.

As far as keeping the dogs on the Harleys, they sell specially deigned side cars and what can best be described as "dog seats" that attach onto the main seating area of the bike. Dogs are secured with safety belts and some wear "doggles" which are basically doggie biking goggles.

If you want a laugh, google "doggles," and see all the kinds you can buy.

They also sell specially designed doggie carriers - think baby carriers - that strap onto the rider and face the dog out front. That's how the dog in my book rides.

You should see these dogs when they know they're about to get to ride. They're so excited. It's got to be like a super fun car ride, where they get to stick their whole bodies out the window.

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Faye. The NYT List was a surprise, to say the least. When my agent called, I made her email me too - just to make sure I wasn't phone hallucinating.

Unknown said...

Skullcap Sue No Brakes
I love it and the book ROCKED!!!!!
Yay Angie!!!
:)
Becky

Angie Fox said...

Thanks, Becky! The Accidental Demon Slayer was a kick to write.

Cassandra said...

Owl Eyed Olive Fast Pants!

Well, the fast pants is right. LOL.

Neat idea.

Teoh said...

Congrates Angie!

Yupe, that's me, Lusty Lucy Steely Butt!! hehe, I think it was the Steel Butt that got me!!

Thanks for describing the doggles for me! You're right, some of them are pretty cute while some are weird!!

Angie Fox said...

Indeed, Cassandra? Hmmm...I'm betting there's a story behind that.

Angie Fox said...

What I don't get about doggles is how they get the dogs to keep them on. None of the dogs I've owned would ever go for that. But these biker dogs - I don't know what it is. Maybe they know that they're about to ride and (for a lot of them)doggles are part of it. They sure get excited.

Anonymous said...

My biker witch name is Two Date Tessa Wheelie-Gig. lol

I've been waiting for quite a while to get your book. I can't wait to read it.

Anonymous said...

LOL, oh no!
Your biker witch name is:
Crumple Toed Chessie Fast Pants
Thanks for the chuckle.

Sandy said...

Candy Knickers No Pants wants to say hey to you and yours.
Looking forward to your book it sounds like the ticket.