Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I Am Leslie's Brain

I'm sorry this is late. I'm packing for a trip to Arizona in the morning and we had Tom's parents over for dinner and I've had a few glasses of wine too many, but what the hell.

I'm excited for two reasons - 1) I'm finally going to see the Grand Canyon and 2) I figured out the ending of book three. What's weird is, the two rate just as highly with me.

Okay - so how does the world's largest hole in the ground equate with figuring out the ending of one of what may be many books? Because both are miraculous in nature. You already know why the Grand Canyon is cool, so I'll fill you in on the other.

You might think that being a writer, the plots of books come easily. We're creative types, right? This should be easy. Well, that couldn't be further from the truth. In my case, the end of the book reveals itself when it's damned good and ready. I don't have any idea how it's all going to end when I come up with the idea for the book itself. The fact that my brain hides this info from me is bizarre, and a little scary (I mean - what else isn't it telling me???). Yet, that's how it happens. It just pops in there when I'm trying to sleep, helping the kids with homework, in the shower, or in this case -when I'm standing in the shower like a zombie - trying to remember if I got the kids off to school (or in extreme situations - did I even have kids?).

I hear people saying all the time that they'd like to know how the brain actually works. Not me. I'm perfectly happy letting my brain tell me what's what, when I need to know. I'm afraid if I ever did figure it all out - it would stop talking to me. And that is what I'm really afraid of.

Happy thoughts!.
Leslie "The Assassin" Langtry

8 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Leslie,

Have a great vacation.

And I agree sometimes the brain is like a beautiful wild animal. Admire it, marvel at it, never underestimate it, and toss some substance to it regularly.

Crime Scene Christie

Hellie Sinclair said...

Woohoo! I can't wait to read it! :) I'm so excited about this series.

Have a great vacation--and enjoy looking at that great big hole. :)

Sin said...

Congrats on your ending! I love when my brain finally enlightens me. Makes me feel like I'm actually in the loop. :)

Have a great time on vacation! I loved the great big hole. Just don't fall in!

Anonymous said...

My brain and I have come to an uneasy truce. I keep it medicated and it doesn't keep me up at night torturing me with story ideas too very often. It's not unlike a Mid-Eastern cease fire. You never know which one of us is going to rebel first and turn on the other.

Anonymous said...

Have a great vacation and well... it is goof you have not the blog under the influence !

Nathalie said...

The Grand Canyon... they say it is pretty amazing... and far away! I don't live in the US.

How the brain works... that is also a black hole for me!

Anonymous said...

The brain... how complex and I have to say I don't really want to know how it works precisely... though memory is pretty amazing. I remember neurology was such a painful course.

Enchanted by Books said...

Have a wonderful vacation! :)