Sunday, September 09, 2007

Hi, My Name is Bethany and I'm a Bath Fiend*.


Last week I had to decide between lunch and Lush.

My friends wanted to go to a brave bistro for an end of summer recap. It is the one restaurant I go to and I don’t even consider the caloric ramifications on my evening run. Everything they serve is deliciously prepared and beautifully presented and in that vein going is something of a treat. Being young thirty somethings with small children and big (for us) mortgages, we more lunch ladies than ladies who lunch. That being the case, when my friends invited me my brain wasn’t busy adding and subtracting calories and miles, it was more preoccupied with the right side of the menu, the prices.

You see that very morning I had used my last drop of Flying Fox shower gel, I blew up my last bath bomb the month before, and the tee tiny remaining sliver of Honey I Washed the Kids wasn’t enough to wash my kid. I logged on to my banks website and checked the balance of my “Just for Me” account, then winced. Maybe if I bought the smallest bottle of shower gel (more expensive per ounce, mind you), one bath bomb, and if I forewent the sweet vanilla and toffee so yummy I could bite him smell of my little boy fresh out of the bath…

Umm…no.

The very thought of scrimping on my bath indulgences sent me into a cold sweat and made me a slight nauseous. I couldn't even think about lunch much less eat and and enjoy it. There are many many many things to which I can just say no. Bath bubbles and bombs and lotions and oils are not among them.

My daily showers (yeah, plural) and bi-weekly baths are my respites. I’m best at creating stories when I’m sitting in a tub as the hot water turns tepid and billows of bubbles slowly pop and collapse. When I’m overtired and stressed a shower can rebound me more quickly than a power nap. No can of Oust or Febreze will freshen a home more quickly than the steamy, floral or fruity freshness that lingers after my bathing rituals.

So lunch was great conversation over a green salad and sparkling H2O with a splash of lemon. Dessert was a Lemon Drop Cupcake Solid Bath Oil.

Yum!

I’m always on the hunt for new bathing tchtokes to add to my wish lists. What are your favorite smell good finds? Feel free to forward any fun bath recommends my way.

*There is also the matter of a shoe addiction. From that I am still recovering.


12 comments:

Unknown said...

I kind of like the smell of the cotten blossem from bath and body works products. It really smells great.

Estella said...

I like the smell of Cucumber Melon by Suave Naturals---and it's cheap!

Christie Craig said...

Bethany,

Ahhh.... I love, love my baths. A lot of times that's when an idea will come for another book or I'll come up with a new scene.

I don't use a lot of smell-good products in the water, but I've been known to light a few scented candles.

Crime Scene Christie

ChristyJan said...

My favorite scents are: Karma from Lush and Angel from Thierry Mugler. Love them both! And, almost every time I wear either my Angel perfume or body lotion I have people come up to me and ask what I'm wearing and where they can purchase it.
Candy from www.skindazzles.com makes great duplicates of both of these scents and has them in bath products, etc.

danetteb said...

I have sensitive skin and I love the Bliss Lemon Sage soap. It's pricey ,but well worth it.

Luca Maiolino said...

Sto sperimentando un nuovo metodo per aumentare le visite di un blog. Tra un paio di settimane vi farò sapere com'è andata.

CrystalGB said...

I love the body creams and lotions from Bath and Body Works.

Gemma Halliday said...

All my best ideas come to me in the shower. Something about the soothing hot water and steam wakes my creative side right up.
Or maybe it’s my sage and lemongrass body wash…

~Gemma

Nathalie said...

I love everything with lavender... my body wash is so nice. I am sure it makes me spend more time in the shower!

Anonymous said...

I am not a bath fanatic, I like a quick shower accentuated with oderless products. I know, I am boring.

Anonymous said...

Your best ideas come in the shower... I totally relate, it is such a soothing and relaxing place to be in - especially when we are suyrrounded by all these lush fragrances. I experiment a lot with my body wash, but it is never something expensive.

Bethany True said...

I've added a dozen of "to tries" to my lists. ChristyJan has me addicted to Angel! You are now my favorite person!